I couldn’t think of a more perfect time to introduce this particular challenge!
We all need to support our immunity and give ourselves an extra boost this time of year.
Get ready for some serious nourishment. How do we go about this without turning to a horrible radical/extreme diet & loads of exercise? (These usually come to a messy end sooner than we had hoped anyway!) Instead of cutting back and restricting ourselves we are going to be adding more in! More greens, more colours, more vitamins, more nutrients, more antioxidants and more fibre.
I’ve set this challenge to help you get back to feeling your absolute best, no diet needed! And the results are long term. It can be part of your lifestyle you can enjoy and maintain. So I would like you to incorporate as many fresh fruit and vegetables (were aiming for 50 this week) as you can into your days starting from NOW! By being mindful you will see it’s actually really simple to do and the benefits will be felt instantly. You’ll be flooding your body with an array of crucial nutrients that you may have been missing during the winter months.
It’s great to top up your bodies stores and get back on track gently if you feel the need. It’s a brilliant and sure way of increasing fibre (vital for digestion, glowing skin, sleep, hormones, energy and overall health!) So let’s get started…
Now I know that 50 can sound a little overwhelming… Are there even that many different types of fruits and vegetables!!??! The answer is yes and below are all my secret, sneaky and most importantly SIMPLE ways of getting them into your diet daily.
- Ensure half your plate is fresh greens or veggies. This instantly adds nutrients to your day. Try your local farmers market for fresh produce that’s affordable and seasonal.
- Aim to have one fresh green veggie juice a day. I like to have mine mid-morning and with a little red apple to sweeten.
- Sneak veggies into EVERYTHING. Casseroles, soups, curries, stews, add to omelettes, stuff peppers and squash, you will be surprised at how quickly it can all add up!
- Start your day with a smoothie. It’s such a great way to get a whole lot of vitamins, minerals and fibre in first thing.
- Snack on fresh fruit and raw crudités with dip, you can even make your own homemade hummus with beetroot or peas!
- Try stewed apples and pears for dessert or baked apples with raisins and cinnamon. It will hit your sweet spot and the stewed fruit is wonderful for your gut.
- If you’re a pasta lover try experimenting with different types, I love spiralissing butternut squash and courgettes.
- Don’t forget that your herbs all count! As do things like leeks, garlic, red/white onions they not only add lovely favour they also serve as prebiotics to the gut… AND they contribute towards your 50!
- Roast big colourful trays of veg for the week and add to every meal. Think mushrooms, courgettes, pepper, aubergine, sweet pots/squash/beetroot/carrots etc…
- It doesn’t have to stop at the meal itself; pesto, sauces and dressings are all brilliant add ons and ways to get a bit extra in.